Quick summary: Students will learn to identify the sugar content of a range of packaged foods and recipes by reading nutritional panels in this lesson. They will find recipes of favourite and new dishes and experiment with ways to make healthier choices.
- Students will understand that packaged foods often have added sugars
- Students will research alternatives with less added sugar
- Students will understand how food options and choices have changed over time.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 5 and 6 HPE:
- Investigate the role of preventive health in promoting and maintaining health, safety and wellbeing for individuals and their communities (ACPPS058)
Year 5 and 6 Design and Technologies:
- Investigate how and why food and fibre are produced in managed environments and prepared to enable people to grow and be healthy (ACTDEK021)
Syllabus outcomes: SLS3.13, ST3-11LW
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability
Relevant parts of Year 5 & 6 HPE achievement standards:
Students demonstrate fair play and skills to work collaboratively. They access and interpret health information and apply decision-making and problem-solving skills to enhance their own and others’ health, safety, and wellbeing. They perform specialised movement skills and sequences and propose and combine movement concepts and strategies to achieve movement outcomes and solve movement challenges. They apply the elements of movement when composing and performing movement sequences.
Relevant parts of Year 5 & 6 Design and Technologies achievement standards:
By the end of Year 6, students explain how social, ethical, technical, and sustainability considerations influence the design of solutions to meet a range of present and future needs. They explain how the features of technologies influence design decisions and how digital systems are connected to form networks. Students describe a range of needs, opportunities, or problems and define them in terms of functional requirements. They collect and validate data from a range of sources to assist in making judgments.
Topic: Sugar By Half
This lesson is part of the wider unit of work Sugar By Half.
Time required: 75+ mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – Facilitate a video analysis and class discussion, supervise groups and provide guidance during the activity.
- Access to a device per student or small group, to research healthy food and meal alternatives
- A divide capable of projecting the Nutrition Information Panel, explaining how to read nutrition panels
- Collection of food/food packaging – see teacher preparation
- Student Worksheets – one copy per student.
Keywords: Kidney Health, Sugar, Nutrition
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.