Quick summary: In this lesson, students will learn about the role of the kidneys and how they filter waste from our bloodstream. They will imagine the analogy of kidneys being ‘bombarded’ by too much sugar and how kidney-related disease may occur. To show their understanding and promote health, students will create a poster for younger students about kidneys and keep them healthy. They will reflect on the lesson by writing a pledge to take care of their kidneys.
- Students will understand the role of the kidneys
- Students can name the parts of the kidneys responsible for filtering blood
- Students recognise the importance of maintaining healthy kidneys
- Students recognise the links between dental health, heart health, healthy kidneys, and lifestyle choices.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Years 5 and 6 HPE:
- Investigate the role of preventive health in promoting and maintaining health, safety and wellbeing for individuals and their communities (ACPPS058)
- Plan and practise strategies to promote health, safety and wellbeing (ACPPS054)
Year 5 English:
- Use comprehension strategies to analyse information, integrating and linking ideas from a variety of print and digital sources (ACELY1703)
Year 6 English:
- Use comprehension strategies to interpret and analyse information and ideas, comparing content from a variety of textual sources including media and digital texts (ACELY1713)
Relevant parts of Year 5 & 6 achievement standards:
They describe their own and others’ contributions to health, physical activity, safety and wellbeing. They describe the key features of health-related fitness and the significance of physical activity participation to health and wellbeing. They examine how physical activity, celebrating diversity and connecting to the environment support community wellbeing and cultural understanding.
Students access and interpret health information and apply decision-making and problem-solving skills to enhance their own and others’ health, safety and wellbeing.
Topic: Health and Wellbeing
This lesson is part of the wider unit of work Sugar By Half.
Time required: 60 mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – prepare videos, facilitate discussions to allow understanding
- A device capable of playing the video ‘How do your kidneys work?’
- An empty jar and enough marbles to fill at least half the jar
- A funnel
- Art materials and paper
- Student Worksheet — one per student.
Keywords: health, kidney, sugar, food, bloodstream, waste, disease.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.