In these lessons, students will be focusing on the ‘Average Quantity per 100g’ section of the Nutrition Information Panel. They will be using percentages to enable them to make comparisons of nutritional components of similar foods in order to make informed and healthy choices about what they eat.
- Students understand that NIPs provide information on nutritional daily intakes.
- Students know how to interpret information from the NIP and apply it to different situations.
- Students understand how to use and apply percentages in order to make comparisons.
- Topic: Consumption.
- This lesson is part of the wider unit of work SugarByHalf – Math – Years 5-6.
- Time required: 65 mins.
- Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – facilitate class discussion and activities.
- Keywords: SugarByHalf, Australian Dental Association, nutrition information panel, energy, sugar, nutrition, food, serving, percentages, health.
To view our Australian Curriculum alignment click here.
To view our NZ Curriculum alignment click here.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian and New Zealand Curriculums.
- Kitchen Scales (optional)
- Selection of packaged foods showing the NIP (e.g. cereals, chocolate bars)
- Teaspoons (optional)
These lessons were developed in partnership with SugarByHalf and the Australian Dental Association.