After watching a short video about the impacts of sugar on our bodies, students learn about SugarByHalf’s suggested sugar swaps, replacing high sugar foods with lower sugar foods for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Students then read a scenario set in an imaginary kingdom and work in groups to use their sugar knowledge to create a low sugar dinner banquet for the prince’s 18th birthday. After considering why it is difficult for people to give up sugar, students design a 3-step sugar reduction strategy for their school.
- Students will understand healthy and unhealthy food options
- Students understand the importance of choice in relation to dietary options
- Students understand the benefits of working in a team to solve problems.
- Topic: Consumption.
- This lesson is part of the wider unit of work: SugarByHalf – HASS – Years 5-6.
- Time required: 80 mins.
- Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – facilitate class discussion.
- Keywords: sugar swap, healthy, unhealthy, menu plan, strategy, sugar, SugarByHalf.
To view our Australian Curriculum alignment click here.
To view our NZ Curriculum alignment click here.
- Mobile devices enabled to view websites
- Guide to Healthy Eating worksheet.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian and New Zealand Curriculums.