In this lesson, students will explore the benefits of being healthy through a Think-Pair-Share visible thinking routine.
They will be introduced to the idea that sugar is prevalent in our diets by watching a short clip that exposes the sugar content of well-known foods. They will then read and analyse an article that details the effect of sugar on our health and wellbeing. Lastly, students will consider how reducing sugar could benefit their health, reflecting on whether or not to make any changes to their own diet.
- Students understand the benefits of limiting sugar consumption.
- Topic: Consumption.
- This lesson is part of the wider unit of work SugarByHalf – HPE – Years 7-8.
- Time required: 90 mins.
- Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – facilitate class discussions.
- Keywords: Sugar, health information, evaluation, healthy choices, health, SugarByHalf, credibility, bias.
To view our Australian Curriculum alignment click here.
To view our NZ Curriculum alignment click here.
- Device capable of presenting a video to the class
- Web-enabled devices – enough for one per pair of students
- Whiteboard markers
- Paper roll (optional).
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian and New Zealand Curriculums.