Quick summary: Students complete a complex whole school energy audit. Using their data, students calculate usage, kilowatts and greenhouse gas emissions. Students make key recommendations on how energy use could be reduced at their school.
- Students recognise the relationship between energy use and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Students understand the relationship between watts, watt hours and kilowatts.
- Students understand how to apply Emission Factor figures to the calculation of greenhouse gas emissions.
- Students recognise where energy consumption can be reduced at their school and home.
General capabilities: Sustainability OI.8.
Cross-curriculum priority: Numeracy, Critical and creative thinking.
Australian Curriculum content description:
Geography Year 9
- Collect, select, record and organise relevant geographical data and information, using ethical protocols, from a range of appropriate primary and secondary sources (ACHGS064)
Science Year 9
- Plan, select and use appropriate investigation methods, including field work and laboratory experimentation, to collect reliable data; assess risk and address ethical issues associated with these methods (ACSIS165)
- People can use scientific knowledge to evaluate whether they should accept claims, explanations or predictions (ACSHE160)
- The values and needs of contemporary society can influence the focus of scientific research (ACSHE228)
Geography Year 10
- Collect, select, record and organise relevant data and geographical information, using ethical protocols, from a range of appropriate primary and secondary sources (ACHGS073)
- Reflect on and evaluate the findings of the inquiry to propose individual and collective action in response to a contemporary geographical challenge, taking account of environmental, economic and social considerations; and explain the predicted outcomes and consequences of their proposal (ACHGS080)
Topic: Switch to Save, Energy.
Time required: 60 + mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – oversee students conducting audit.
Resources required: Student Worksheet – one copy per student OR computers/tablets to access the online worksheet. Internet access, school electricity and gas bills, factsheets: Energy cheat sheet, Calculating GHG emissions and Typical power ratings for appliances.
Digital technology opportunities: Prezi presentation tool, digital sharing capabilities.
Homework and extension opportunities: Includes opportunities for extension.
Keywords: Energy, audit, greenhouse gas emissions, school, appliances, C02e emissions.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.