Quick summary: Students gather real world data to find out the number of different appliances in their classroom. Initially, student estimate the number of different appliances, then they count and calculate recording their data. They make recommendations as to how their classroom could use less electricity and link their findings to home-based energy saving programs, such as the Switch to Save program.
- Students understand that we can better understand how to use energy by collecting data about the appliances being used.
- Students understand that replacing halogen downlights with LED downlights will have both environmental and economic benefits.
- Students take action to reduce their personal energy footprints at school and at home.
General capabilities: Numeracy, Critical and creative thinking.
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability OI.8.
Australian Curriculum content description:
Year 3 Mathematics:
- Collect data, organise into categories and create displays using lists, tables, picture graphs and simple column graphs, with and without the use of digital technologies (ACMSP069)
- Interpret and compare data displays (ACMSP070)
Year 3 Science:
- Use a range of methods including tables and simple column graphs to represent data and to identify patterns and trends (ACSIS057)
Year 4 Mathematics:
- Construct suitable data displays, with and without the use of digital technologies, from given or collected data. Include tables, column graphs and picture graphs where one picture can represent many data values (ACMSP096)
- Evaluate the effectiveness of different displays in illustrating data features including variability (ACMSP097)
Year 4 Science:
- Use a range of methods including tables and simple column graphs to represent data and to identify patterns and trends(ACSIS068)
Topic: Switch to Save, Energy.
Time required: 60 + mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: High – Lead students in class discussion around activity.
Resources required: Student Worksheet – one copy per student OR computers/tablets to access the online worksheet. Take It Home – Lighting Audit.
Digital technology opportunities: Digital sharing capabilities.
Homework and extension opportunities: This activity includes opportunities for homework.
Keywords: Switch to Save, energy, audit, electrical appliances, saving.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.