Quick summary: Students complete a lighting audit of all the lights that are on in their classroom. With this information, students work together to create a plan for their classroom aimed at reducing energy related to lighting. Students then connect their learning to home-based energy saving programs, such as the Switch to Save program.
- Students understand that lights use energy.
- Students understand that saving energy will help our environment.
- Students will understand how and why to do a simple audit.
- Students will use counting and addition skills to audit lights at school and at home.
General capabilities: Numeracy, Critical and creative thinking.
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability OI.8.
Australian Curriculum content description:
- Establish understanding of the language and processes of counting by naming numbers in sequences, initially to and from 20, moving from any starting point (ACMNA001)
- Connect number names, numerals and quantities, including zero, initially up to 10 and then beyond (ACMNA002)
Year 1 Mathematics:
- Represent data with objects and drawings where one object or drawing represents one data value. Describe the displays (ACMSP263)
- Represent and solve simple addition and subtraction problems using a range of strategies including counting on, partitioning and rearranging parts (ACMNA015)
Year 1 Science:
- People use science in their daily lives, including when caring for their environment and living things (ACSHE022)
Year 2 Mathematics:
- Solve simple addition and subtraction problems using a range of efficient mental and written strategies (ACMNA030)
- Collect, check and classify data (ACMSP049)
Year 2 Science:
- Earth’s resources, including water, are used in a variety of ways (ACSSU032)
Syllabus Outcomes: ST1-11LW, ST1-9ES, MAe‑1WM, MAe‑2WM, MAe‑4NA, MA1‑1WM, MA1‑2WM, MA1‑3WM, MA1‑5NA, MA1-17SP.
Topic: Switch to Save, Energy.
Time required: 60 mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: High – oversee activity and lead students in audit.
Resources required: Student Worksheet – one copy per student OR computers/tablets to access the online worksheet. Take It Home – Lighting Audit.
Digital technology opportunities: Digital sharing capabilities.
Homework and extension opportunities: Includes opportunities for homework and extension.
Keywords: Switch to Save, energy, lighting, audit, school.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.