Quick summary: Students observe and collect real world data to explain how energy is consumed in their classroom by looking at how, why and when appliances in their classroom are used. They make recommendations as to how their class could use less electricity and link their findings to home-based energy saving programs, such as the Switch to Save program.
Activity developed in partnership with
This lesson has been designed to support Bendigo Bank’s Switch to Save program. This program helps reduce greenhouse gas emissions by switching halogen downlights for LED downlights for free. For every halogen globe switched Bendigo Bank donates $1 back to Victorian schools’ environmental projects.
- Students understand the relationship between energy use at school and a healthy environment.
- Students recognise a range of strategies for saving energy at school.
- Students understand that replacing halogen downlights with LED downlights will have both environmental and economic benefits.
General capabilities: Numeracy, Critical and creative thinking.
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability OI.8.
Australian Curriculum content description:
Mathematics Year 5
- Choose appropriate units of measurement for length, area, volume, capacity and mass (ACMMG108)
Geography Year 5
- Locate and collect relevant information and data from primary and secondary sources (ACHASSI095)
- Reflect on learning to propose personal and/or collective action in response to an issue or challenge, and predict the probable effects (ACHASSI104)
Science Year 6
- Scientific knowledge is used to inform personal and community decisions (ACSHE220)
Geography Year 6
- Locate and collect relevant information and data from primary and secondary sources (ACHASSI123)
- Reflect on learning to propose personal and/or collective action in response to an issue or challenge, and predict the probable effects (ACHASSI132)
Syllabus Outcomes: GE3-4, ST3-6PW, MA3-10MG, MA3-11MG, MA3-12MG, MA3-9MG, MA3‑1WM, MA3‑2WM, MA3‑3WM.
Topic: Switch to Save, Energy.
Time required: 60 + mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – oversee activity.
Resources required: Student Worksheet – one copy per student OR computers/tablets to access the online worksheet. Take It Home – Lighting Audit.
You can also access the Switch to Save School Registration form.
Digital technology opportunities: Digital sharing capabilities.
Homework and extension opportunities: Includes opportunities for extension and homework.
Keywords: Switch to Save, energy, audit, classroom.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.