Quick summary: In this activity students become more familiar with some of the technical terms (and meanings) associated with solid waste. Students are asked to research terms and create definitions for these terms that will then be used in a class game. Finally, students are asked to think of a question they would like answered about waste, and to either undertake research to answer this question or swap their question with another student, and research and report back to their classmate the answers they found to the question.
This activity has been adapted from Learning to Give (learningtogive.org)
- Students understand that waste is a major issue for society and our environment.
- Students learn that we have developed many strategies for dealing with waste and for minimising its generation.
- Students understand a range of technical terms relating to solid waste.
21st century skills:
Australian Curriculum content descriptions:
Year 5 English
- Clarify understanding of content as it unfolds in formal and informal situations, connecting ideas to students’ own experiences and present and justify a point of view (ACELY1699)
Year 5 Science
- Scientific knowledge is used to inform personal and community decisions (ACSHE083)
- Communicate ideas, explanations and processes in a variety of ways, including multi-modal texts (ACSIS093)
Year 6 English
- Participate in and contribute to discussions, clarifying and interrogating ideas, developing and supporting arguments, sharing and evaluating information, experiences and opinions (ACELY1709)
Year 6 Science
- Scientific knowledge is used to inform personal and community decisions (ACSHE100)
- Communicate ideas, explanations and processes in a variety of ways, including multi-modal texts (ACSIS110)
Topic: Solid Waste
Time required: 45+ mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – assist students with defining waste related terms and with research, and facilitate game.
Resources required: Printed copy of student worksheet for each student, copy of cards worksheet, cut along the lines, access to definitions table at end of teacher worksheet for teacher, sticky tape, drawing and writing materials, computer with Internet access.
Homework and extension opportunities: Parts of this activity can be set as homework.
Keywords: Waste, disposal, recycling, sorting, councils, government.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.