The Fire Triangle Model – Science – Year 5
Students investigate the conditions that are required to start and sustain fires, and how these three elements impact the practice of cool burning.
- understand the three conditions required to start and sustain fires
- understand the differences between hot and cool burning.
- conduct experiments that demonstrate the importance of a number of variables in sustaining a fire.
- Critical Thinking
- Cultural Understanding
Australian Curriculum (v9.0) content descriptions – Science
Students learn to:
plan and conduct repeatable investigations to answer questions, including, as appropriate, deciding the variables to be changed, measured and controlled in fair tests; describing potential risks; planning for the safe use of equipment and materials; and identifying required permissions to conduct investigations on Country/Place (AC9S5I02)
Cross Curriculum Priority: Sustainability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Histories and Cultures.
Relevant parts of Year 5 achievement standards:
By the end of Year 5, students plan safe investigations to identify patterns and relationships and make reasoned predictions. They identify variables to be changed and measured.
Level of teacher scaffolding: High – review students’ knowledge and identify their misconceptions, assist students with simple chemistry concepts, assess student outcomes.
- Demonstration materials, such as candles that won’t fall over or can be fixed in position, matches, taper candles to light larger candles, hand water pump sprayer and Pyrex beakers
- Device capable of presenting a website to the class
- Fire Factsheet
- Fire Triangle Image
- Lab Safety Rules
- Student Worksheet – one copy per student.
Special thanks to:
Fish River Station, John Daly, Dr Jeremy Russell-Smith, Peter Jacklyn, Peter McConchie, Dr Tommy George, David Claudie, Dale Musgrave, Carolyn George and Victor Steffensen.
Cool Australia would like to acknowledge the support of the Bennelong Foundation in updating these lessons.
Teach Caring for Country Using Fire
Quick summary: In this course, you will hear how John Daly uses fire stick techniques to care for Country. John works with scientists and farmers to reduce the impact of bushfires and protect communities.