Quick summary: In this lesson, students will explore the experiences of marquee players in the AFLW competition and consider the value of staying true to their personal goals and ambitions. This will then act as a prompt for students to develop their own persuasive writing pieces, in which they incorporate persuasive techniques in a letter persuading their reader of the value of pursuing their goals.
This lesson is designed to provide practise for NAPLAN, the national literacy and numeracy test held in Years 3, 5, 7 and 9*. It focuses on effective use of persuasive language to maximise impact on an audience. It relates specifically to the NAPLAN marking criteria of persuasive devices and vocabulary.
- Students will understand some of the challenges faced by current AFLW players.
- Students will understand different persuasive techniques.
- Students will select appropriate persuasive techniques based on audience and context.
21st century skills:
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 9 English
- Interpret and compare how representations of people and culture in literary texts are drawn from different historical, social and cultural contexts (ACELT1633)
- Use interaction skills to present and discuss an idea and to influence and engage an audience by selecting persuasive language, varying voice tone, pitch, and pace, and using elements such as music and sound effects (ACELY1811)
- Create imaginative, informative and persuasive texts that present a point of view and advance or illustrate arguments, including texts that integrate visual, print and/or audio features (ACELY1746)
Year 10 English
- Make connections between students’ own experiences and those of characters and events represented in texts drawn from different historical, social and cultural contexts (ACELT1613)
- Analyse and evaluate how people, cultures, places, events, objects and concepts are represented in texts, including media texts, through language, structural and/or visual choices (ACELY1749)
- Create sustained texts, including texts that combine specific digital or media content, for imaginative, informative, or persuasive purposes that reflect upon challenging and complex issues (ACELY1756)
Syllabus outcomes: EN3-8D, EN5-1A, EN5-3B, EN5-8D
General capabilities: Literacy, Critical and Creative Thinking, Personal and Social Capability, Ethical Understanding
Relevant parts of Year 9 achievement standards: In creating texts, students demonstrate how manipulating language features and images can create innovative texts. Students create texts that respond to issues, interpreting and integrating ideas from other texts. They edit for effect, selecting vocabulary and grammar that contribute to the precision and persuasiveness of texts and using accurate spelling and punctuation.
Relevant parts of Year 10 achievement standards: Students show how the selection of language features can achieve precision and stylistic effect. They explain different viewpoints, attitudes and perspectives through the development of cohesive and logical arguments. They develop their own style by experimenting with language features, stylistic devices, text structures and images.
Topic: Social Issues.
Unit of work: AFLW – NAPLAN preparation.
Time required: 90 mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – some students will require support developing writing ideas.
Resources required: Student Worksheet – printed, one per student. Device capable of presenting a video to the class. Learning intentions and success criteria display. Persuasive Language handout, printed, one per student.
Keywords: AFLW, persistence, goals, resilience, equality, norms, expectations, persuasive language, persuasive techniques, audience.
*This lesson plan is not an officially endorsed publication of NAPLAN’s creators and administrators – the ACARA body – but is designed to provide practice for the Australian Curriculum’s compulsory NAPLAN testing scheme.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.
© Cool Australia and the Australian Football League