Quick summary: Using the activity sheet with six clock faces set at different times, students are asked to think about what they can do to save water at different times of the day.
- Students associate times of the day with familiar events and actions.
- Students understand that they can avoid wasting water when they need to use it.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 1 Mathematics
- Tell time to the half-hour (ACMMG020)
Year 1 Science
- People use science in their daily lives, including when caring for their environment and living things (ACSHE022)
Year 2 Mathematics
- Tell time to the quarter-hour, using the language of ‘past’ and ‘to’ (ACMMG039)
Year 2 Science
- People use science in their daily lives, including when caring for their environment and living things (ACSHE035)
General capabilities: Critical and creative thinking, Numeracy
Time required: 30 mins+
Level of teacher scaffolding: Assist students in telling time and offering suggestions for saving water (see the Cool Australia Water factsheet for ideas).
Resources required: Printed worksheet ‘Time to save water’ for each student.
Homework and extension opportunities: None.
Keywords: Water, save, time.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.