Quick summary: The teacher helps students investigate how appliances are turned on and off and the safety requirements.
Key lessons and understandings of activity:
- Appliances are turned on and off, but we need to consider safety as well.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 1 Mathematics
- Choose simple questions and gather responses (ACMSP262)
- Represent data with objects and drawings where one object or drawing represents one data value. Describe the displays (ACMSP263)
Year 1 Science
- People use science in their daily lives, including when caring for their environment and living things (ACSHE022)
Year 2 Mathematics
- Collect, check and classify data (ACMSP049)
- Create displays of data using lists, table and picture graphs and interpret them (ACMSP050)
Year 2 Science
- Earth’s resources, including water, are used in a variety of ways (ACSSU032)
Syllabus Outcomes ST1-11LW, ST1-9ES, MA1‑1WM, MA1‑2WM, MA1‑3WM, MA1-17SP.
Year levels: 1 and 2
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor
Time required 35 mins
Learning areas addressed: Geography, Sustainability, Health
Level of teacher scaffolding: While leading the activity reinforce all safety procedures which include students must not touch where necessary.
Resources required: The activity sheet is best used on a smartboard or with a digital projector as a whole class activity.
Keywords: Electricity, energy, safety.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.