Quick summary: This lesson supports students to apply what they have learnt throughout the Voices of Chasing Asylum lessons. They are given one task but can make a choice about how to fulfil the requirements, encouraging self-direction and developing a growth mindset. They plan and complete the task with teacher and peer support to demonstrate and apply their knowledge and understanding.
Chasing Asylum exposes the real impact of Australia’s offshore detention policies through the personal accounts of people seeking asylum and whistleblowers who tried to work within the system. To watch the documentary, stream it on Kanopy and Clickview or purchase the DVD at the ATOM Education Shop.
- Students will demonstrate the knowledge and understanding they have gained throughout the Voices of Chasing Asylum unit.
21st Century skills:
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 11 English:
Create a range of texts:
- using imaginative, interpretive and persuasive elements for different purposes, contexts and audiences (ACEEN032)
- experimenting with text structures, language features and multimodal devices (ACEEN033)
- developing and sustaining voice, tone and style (ACEEN034)
- selecting and applying appropriate textual evidence to support arguments (ACEEN035)
- using strategies for planning, drafting, editing and proofreading (ACEEN036)
- using accurate spelling, punctuation, syntax and metalanguage (ACEEN037)
Reflect on their own and others’ texts by:
- analysing the values and attitudes expressed in texts (ACEEN038)
- evaluating the effectiveness of texts in representing ideas, attitudes and voices (ACEEN039)
- explaining how and why texts position readers and viewers (ACEEN040)
General capabilities: Literacy, Personal and Social Capability, Ethical Understanding, Intercultural Understanding.
Topic: Social Issues.
Time required: Teacher discretion.
Resources required: Student Worksheet – one copy per student OR computers/tablets to access the online worksheet. Device capable of projecting a website to the class. Assessment Task Planning Tool. Genre Tips. Brace map.
Digital technology opportunities: Digital sharing capabilities.
Keywords: Chasing Asylum, assessment, text creation, literature, literacy, language.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.