Quick summary: In this activity students will observe the weather every day for a month, recording what the weather was like on each day, how windy it was and what the temperature was. Students begin the activity by discussing the different types of weather they might experience where they are, and then make observations about the weather they are experiencing today. Students repeat their observations over a set period of time (e.g. week, fortnight, month) and make assessments about the weather they have observed.
- Students recognise a range of weather types.
- Students understand that the weather changes frequently but that we can make some predictions about weather based on season and time of year.
General capabilities: Critical and creative thinking
Australian Curriculum content description:
Year 1 Science
- Observable changes occur in the sky and landscape (ACSSU019)
- Represent and communicate observations and ideas in a variety of ways such as oral and written language, drawing and role play (ACSIS029)
Year 1 Geography
- The weather and seasons of places and the ways in which different cultural groups, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples, describe them (ACHASSK032)
Year 2 Science
- Science involves asking questions about, and describing changes in, objects and events (ACSHE034)
- People use science in their daily lives, including when caring for their environment and living things (ACSHE035)
- Represent and communicate observations and ideas in a variety of ways such as oral and written language, drawing and role play (ACSIS042)
Topic: Climate change
Time required: Ongoing (can be set over one week, fortnight or month – will require one session to introduce activity, 10 minutes each day for weather observations, and one session for conclusions.
Level of teacher scaffolding: High – facilitate discussion, oversee observations and record keeping.
Resources required: Internet access, student worksheet, drawing materials.
Digital technology opportunities: Digital sharing capabilities.
Homework and extension opportunities: This activity includes opportunities for extension or homework.
Keywords: Weather, temperature, observations, daily, seasons.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.