Quick summary: Students investigate the water cycle and how it applies to a catchment. They examine water as a renewable resource and use a diagram to show how humans have modified the water cycle.
- Students use a diagram show how the water cycle functions and how water is used as a renewable resource.
- Students apply the concept of the water cycle to their local catchment.
- Students apply the concept of the water cycle to water management issues, including consumption and waterway pollution.
- Students show how house and urban design provides clean water, takes polluted water to be processed and directs stormwater to waterways.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 7 Science
- Water is an important resource that cycles through the environment (ACSSU222)
- Identify questions and problems that can be investigated scientifically and make predictions based on scientific knowledge (ACSIS124)
Year 7 Mathematics
- Describe translations, reflections in an axis, and rotations of multiples of 90° on the Cartesian plane using coordinates. Identify line and rotational symmetries (ACMMG181)
Year 7 Science
- Identify questions and problems that can be investigated scientifically and make predictions based on scientific knowledge (ACSIS139)
- Summarise data, from students’ own investigations and secondary sources, and use scientific understanding to identify relationships and draw conclusions (ACSIS145)
Year levels: 7 and 8
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor
Time required: 90 mins
Learning areas addressed: Science Geography, Health and Physical Education, ICT.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Keep activity open ended, bring students’ ideas together at the end of the activity.
Resources required: Internet, 3 large sheets of paper (A3) per student, drawing materials and Student Worksheet.
Homework and extension opportunities: None.
Keywords: Water, Cycle, Catchment, Pollution, Renewable, Diagram, Drawing, Waste, Home.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.