Quick summary: Students are asked to look at the range of water-saving strategies proposed by their state or territory government and are asked to critically examine these in the context of environmental, social and economic costs. Students are then asked to make their own recommendations for future water saving actions.
- Students recognise the range of environmental and social costs associated with government-led water-saving strategies.
- Students demonstrate the ability to work collaboratively to research and compile information on issues.
- Students demonstrate the ability to work collaboratively to critically assess research findings and communicate analysis in writing with thought and clarity.
- Studentsc communicate effectively in fair and considered class-wide discussion on issues.
Australian National Mapping
Year 9 Science
- Use knowledge of scientific concepts to draw conclusions that are consistent with evidence (ACSIS170)
- Critically analyse the validity of information in secondary sources and evaluate the approaches used to solve problems (ACSIS172)
Year 9 Mathematics
- Identify everyday questions and issues involving at least one numerical and at least one categorical variable, and collect data directly from secondary sources (ACMSP228)
Year 10 Science
- Use knowledge of scientific concepts to draw conclusions that are consistent with evidence (ACSIS204)
- Critically analyse the validity of information in secondary sources and evaluate the approaches used to solve problems (ACSIS206)
Year 10 Mathematics
- Evaluate statistical reports in the media and other places by linking claims to displays, statistics and representative data (ACMSP253)
Syllabus Outcomes: SC5-7WS, SC5-8WS.
Year levels: 9 and 10
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor
Time required: 45+ mins, this activity can be extended over several lessons.
Learning areas addressed: Geography, Sustainability.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Assist students with research and engage students in a discussion around their results.
Resources required: Internet and library access, writing materials, Student Worksheet.
Homework and extension opportunities: This activity can be extended over several lessons.
Keywords: Water, Saving, Costs, Government, Research, Group, Environmental, Economic, Report.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.