Quick summary: This class-wide activity asks students to think about how they use electricity in their classroom and at home and where they could use less.
Key lessons and understandings of activity:
- We need electricity everyday for so many different things, but it is important to think about saving energy where possible.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 1 Mathematics
- Represent data with objects and drawings where one object or drawing represents one data value. Describe the displays (ACMSP263)
Year 1 Science
- People use science in their daily lives, including when caring for their environment and living things (ACSHE022)
Year 1 English
- Engage in conversations and discussions, using active listening behaviours, showing interest, and contributing ideas, information and questions (ACELY1656)
Year 2 Mathematics
- Collect, check and classify data (ACMSP049)
Year 2 Science
- Earth’s resources, including water, are used in a variety of ways (ACSSU032)
Year 2 English
- Listen for specific purposes and information, including instructions, and extend students’ own and others’ ideas in discussions (ACELY1666)
Year levels: 1 and 2
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor
Time required: 40 mins
Learning areas addressed: Geography, Sustainability.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Lead students on a discussion around electricity use and assist with filling out the Student Worksheets.
Resources required: Printed worksheet (student worksheet).
Homework and extension opportunities: Ask the students to repeat the activity at home.
Keywords: Electricity, energy, classroom, home.