Quick summary: Students critically examine the quality of internet information about energy saving devices, equipment, white goods, cars etc. They will present their findings to the class.
Learning goals for this activity include:
- Understanding that consumers can find it difficult to choose energy saving goods once they have decided they want to purchase them.
- Students refining their research skills with the aim to locate the best energy saving product.
- Students communicate research results.
Australian National Mapping
Year 7 English
- Use comprehension strategies to interpret, analyse and synthesise ideas and information, critiquing ideas and issues from a variety of textual sources (ACELY1723)
- Plan, draft and publish imaginative, informative and persuasive texts, selecting aspects of subjectmatter and particular language, visual, and audio features to convey information and ideas (ACELY1725)
Year 7 Science
- Science and technology contribute to finding solutions to a range of contemporary issues; these solutions may impact on other areas of society and involve ethical considerations (ACSHE120)
Year 8 English
- Analyse and evaluate the ways that text structures and language features vary according to the purpose of the text and the ways that referenced sources add authority to a text (ACELY1732)
- Create imaginative, informative and persuasive texts that raise issues, report events and advance opinions, using deliberate language and textual choices, and including digital elements as appropriate (ACELY1736)
Year 8 Science
- Science and technology contribute to finding solutions to a range of contemporary issues; these solutions may impact on other areas of society and involve ethical considerations (ACSHE135)
Syllabus Outcomes: EN4-2A, EN4-3B. EN4-4B.
Year levels: 7 and 8
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor
Time required: 40 mins
Learning areas addressed: English, Science, ICT.
Resources required: Access to the internet.
Homework and extension opportunities: This activity includes opportunities for extension.
Keywords: Energy, quality information, research, energy reduction.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.