Quick summary: Students are asked to research what happens to the waste that is produced from schools and homes in their local area. They then produce a chart showing the pathway of the different types of waste.
- Students understand that waste is everybody’s responsibility.
- Students recognise that different forms of waste are disposed of in different ways.
Australian Curriculum content description:
Year 5 English:
- Plan, rehearse and deliver presentations for defined audiences and purposes incorporating accurate and sequenced content and multimodal elements (ACELY1700)
- Use comprehension strategies to analyse information, integrating and linking ideas from a variety of print and digital sources (ACELY1703)
Year 5 Science:
- Scientific knowledge is used to inform personal and community decisions (ACSHE217)
- Communicate ideas, explanations and processes in a variety of ways, including multi-modal texts (ACSIS093)
Year 6 English:
- Plan, rehearse and deliver presentations, selecting and sequencing appropriate content and multimodal elements for defined audiences and purposes, making appropriate choices for modality and emphasis (ACELY1710)
- Use comprehension strategies to interpret and analyse information and ideas, comparing content from a variety of textual sources including media and digital texts (ACELY1713)
- Plan, draft and publish imaginative, informative and persuasive texts, choosing and experimenting with text structures, language features, images and digital resources appropriate to purpose and audience (ACELY1714)
Year 6 Science
- Scientific knowledge is used to inform personal and community decisions (ACSHE220)
- Communicate ideas, explanations and processes in a variety of ways, including multi-modal texts (ACSIS110)
Topic: Solid waste
Time required: several 60 min sessions
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – facilitate activity and guide students where required.
Resources required: Writing materials, computer with internet access.
Digital learning opportunities: Digital sharing capabilities.
Homework and extension opportunities: This activity includes opportunities for extension.
Keywords: Waste, disposal, recycling, school, community, council.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.