Quick summary: The activity can be used by teachers to find out what misconceptions students have about energy. The Student Worksheet can be kept as part of the student’s self assessment at the completion of the unit.
Key lessons and understandings of activity:
- Students build an understanding of energy.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 3 Science
- Science knowledge helps people to understand the effect of their actions (ACSHE051)
- Heat can be produced in many ways and can move from one object to another (ACSSU049)
Year 3 English
- Listen to and contribute to conversations and discussions to share information and ideas and negotiate in collaborative situations (ACELY1676)
Year 4 Science
- Science knowledge helps people to understand the effect of their actions (ACSHE062)
Syllabus Outcomes: ST2-6PW, ST2-11LW, EN2-6B.
Year levels: 3 and 4
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor
Time required: 20 mins
Learning areas addressed: Science.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Facilitate discussion about energy.
Resources required: Writing materials, printed activity sheet.
Keywords: Energy, source, wind, solar, water, gas, renewable and non-renewable.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.