Quick summary: Students read between the lines of statements made by industry experts to discover why a very viable move towards renewable energy sources has seen a slow uptake in Australia.
Year Level: Year 6 and Year 7.
Topics: Climate change. Click here for more lessons on these topics.
Teaching Time: 60 minutes.
Cool would like to thank the Lord Mayor’s Charitable Foundation and The Vincent Fairfax Family Foundation for generously supporting the development of these lessons.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Content descriptions: Year 6 English:
- Use comprehension strategies to interpret and analyse information and ideas, comparing content from a variety of textual sources including media and digital texts (ACELY1713)
Relevant parts of the Year 6 English achievement standards: Students show how specific details can be used to support a point of view.
Content descriptions: Year 7 English:
- Use comprehension strategies to interpret, analyse and synthesise ideas and information, critiquing ideas and issues from a variety of textual sources (ACELY1723)
Relevant parts of the Year 7 English achievement standards: Students understand how to draw on personal knowledge, textual analysis and other sources to express or challenge a point of view.
Syllabus Outcomes: EN3-3A, EN4-2A.
General capabilities: Literacy, Critical and Creative Thinking.
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability.
This lesson is part of the wider unit of work IPCC Climate Change Solutions.
Level of teacher scaffolding: High – Discuss the IPCC report with students, lead students through a complex discussion and support them in independent work.
- A device capable of presenting a video to the class
- Presentation Slides (optional)
- Student writing materials
Related Professional Development: If you’re interested in learning more about how to approach challenging topics around climate change and sustainability in your classroom through a Hope and Optimism lens, consider our PD course.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.