Quick summary: Students are provided with outlines of Australian animals. Students need to draw an ecosystem/habitat that meets the animals’ needs and locate their animals in a place where they find food or shelter.
- Students identify the needs of animals in their ecosystem/habitat and the location where the animals can be found.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 1 Science
- Living things live in different places where their needs are met (ACSSU211)
- Use a range of methods to sort information, including drawings and provided tables (ACSIS027)
Year 2 Science
- Use a range of methods to sort information, including drawings and provided tables (ACSIS040)
- Earth’s resources, including water, are used in a variety of ways (ACSSU032)
Syllabus Outcomes: ST1-4WS, ST1-9ES, ST1-11LW.
Year levels: 1 and 2
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor
Time required: 15 mins
Learning areas addressed: Science, Mathematics, The Arts (Visual Arts).
Level of teacher scaffolding: Assist students with activity.
Resources required: Printed worksheets and art materials, including a large sheet of paper and scissors.
Keywords: Tree, habitat, cut and paste, ecosystem.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.