Cool Australia’s Nature of Mindfulness lessons are a great way to integrate outdoor learning, mindfulness and meditation into your daily teaching or to explore the messages of Planet Ark’s Schools Tree Day with your students. This series of Australian curriculum aligned lessons support teachers of primary years and are backed by scientific research.
These primary lessons were developed by renowned educator and designer of schools mindfulness programs, Janet Etty-Leal. She brings a world of practical experience to the lessons, which contain step-by-step instructions and scripts – all the tools teachers need to feel supported and confident when guiding students in their mindfulness practice.
There are a range of 2, 5, 15 and 60 minute activities for Year 1 & 2 teachers which cover the following Australian Curriculum Health and Physical Education outcomes:
- Identify and practise emotional responses that account for own and others’ feelings (ACPPS020)
- Explore actions that help make the classroom a healthy, safe and active place (ACPPS022)
Learning goals for the free-to-access lessons below:
- To develop natural body awareness.
- To create enhanced focus and improved concentration.
- To develop self-knowledge, empathy, emotional regulation and resilience.
- To cultivate present moment awareness so that calm, considered and conscious choices can begin to replace impulsive, unconscious reactions.
Cool Australia also offers a digital library full of TED talks, research articles, guided meditations and mindful colouring sheets for you to share with your school community.