Cool Australia’s Nature of Mindfulness lessons are a great way to integrate outdoor learning, mindfulness and meditation into your daily teaching or to explore the messages of Planet Ark’s Schools Tree Day with your students. This series of Australian curriculum aligned lessons support teachers of secondary years and are backed by scientific research.
These secondary lessons were developed by renowned educator and designer of schools mindfulness programs, Janet Etty-Leal. She brings a world of practical experience to the lessons, which contain step-by-step instructions and scripts – all the tools teachers need to feel supported and confident when guiding students in their mindfulness practice.
These four activities can be used with all subject areas to enable deep focus and engagement within students. There are a range of 2, 5, 15 and 60 minute activities for Year 7 & 8 teachers which cover the following Australian Curriculum outcomes for Health and Physical Education:
- Plan and use health practices, behaviours and resources to enhance the health, safety and wellbeing of their communities (ACPPS077)
- Plan and implement strategies for connecting to natural and built environments to promote the health and wellbeing of their communities (ACPPS078)
Learning goals for the free-to-access lessons below:
- To create enhanced focus, emotional regulation, empathy and happiness through connection with nature.
- To cultivate present moment awareness so that calm, considered and conscious choices can begin to replace impulsive, unconscious reactions.
- To provide hands-on direct contact with the natural world.
Cool Australia also offers a digital library full of TED talks, research articles, guided meditations and mindful colouring sheets for you to share with your school community.