Quick summary: In this lesson, students will begin their fitness journey, visualising changes that occur inside and outside the body when healthy habits are adopted and targeting the health and fitness of themselves and others through physical testing and media messaging.
The health and fitness-related tasks undertaken throughout the Volkswagen Footy Fit Challenge lessons are gamified, providing incentivised learning opportunities and allowing for some personalisation. Therefore, we recommend students complete the full Volkswagen Footy Fit Challenge unit to benefit from the full experience, completing this lesson first.
The Volkswagen Footy Fit Challenge is a unit of work designed in collaboration with the Sydney Swans to promote health and wellbeing amongst students in years 3 to 6. It is designed to align with, and provide further depth to, the in-schools Volkswagen Footy Fit program for years 2 to 6.
- Students will consider the elements necessary for fitness improvement, including exercise, proper diet, rest and recovery
- Students will apply their learning to practical fitness situations by testing their own fitness and creating targeted training
- Students will investigate the purpose and messaging around media messages about health and create their own positive incentives for getting fit.
21st century skills:
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 3 & 4 HPE
- Explore strategies to manage physical, social and emotional change (ACPPS034)
- Identify and practise strategies to promote health, safety and wellbeing (ACPPS036)
- Discuss and interpret health information and messages in the media and internet (ACPPS039)
- Describe strategies to make the classroom and playground healthy, safe and active spaces (ACPPS040)
Year 5 & 6 HPE
- Plan and practise strategies to promote health, safety and wellbeing (ACPPS054)
- Investigate the role of preventive health in promoting and maintaining health, safety and wellbeing for individuals and their communities (ACPPS058)
Syllabus outcomes: GDS2.9, PHS2.12, PHS2.12, SLS2.13
General capabilities: Literacy, Critical and Creative Thinking, Personal and Social Capability
Relevant parts of Years 3 & 4 HPE achievement standards:
Students interpret health messages and discuss the influences on healthy and safe choices. They understand the benefits of being healthy and physically active. They use decision-making and problem-solving skills to select and demonstrate strategies that help them stay safe, healthy and active.
Relevant parts of Years 5 & 6 HPE achievement standards:
Students describe the key features of health-related fitness and the significance of physical activity participation to health and wellbeing. They access and interpret health information and apply decision-making and problem-solving skills to enhance their own and others’ health, safety and wellbeing.
Topic: Health & Wellbeing
This lesson is part of the wider unit of work Volkswagen Footy Fit Challenge – HPE – Years 3-6
Time required: 90+ mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – facilitate class discussion. Students work independently.
- Activity Pyramid – one copy per student
- Art supplies – coloured pencils, white paper
- Compare The Fitness Worksheet – one copy per student (optional)
- Device capable of presenting a video to the class
- Device capable of creating audiovisual recordings, such as an iPad or camera
- Draft Combine Fitness Worksheet – one copy per student
- Measuring tapes – one per pair of students
- Timers – one per pair or group of students
- Volkswagen Footy Fit Challenge Tokens (from Lesson 1)
- Volkswagen Footy Fit Challenge Game Plan – one copy per student
- Volkswagen Footy Fit Stadium Scoreboard (from Lesson 1).
Keywords: fitness, health, personal responsibility, smoking, media, advertising, obesity, cardio, strength, meditation, Sydney Swans, AFL, footy, fitness, Volkswagen, Footy Fit.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.