Year Levels: Year 6 and Year 7.
Topics: Climate change. Click here for more lessons on these topics.
Teaching Time: 60 minutes.
Quick summary: Students consider some of the challenges associated with electric cars and debate whether they can truly help reduce carbon emissions from transportation.
Cool would like to thank the Lord Mayor’s Charitable Foundation and The Vincent Fairfax Family Foundation for generously supporting the development of these lessons.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Content descriptions: Year 6 English:
- Use comprehension strategies to interpret and analyse information and ideas, comparing content from a variety of textual sources including media and digital texts (ACELY1713)
Relevant parts of the Year 6 English achievement standards: Students show how specific details can be used to support a point of view.
Content descriptions: Year 7 English:
- Use comprehension strategies to interpret, analyse and synthesise ideas and information, critiquing ideas and issues from a variety of textual sources (ACELY1723)
Relevant parts of the Year 7 English achievement standards: Students understand how to draw on personal knowledge, textual analysis and other sources to express or challenge a point of view.
Syllabus Outcomes: EN3-3A, EN4-2A.
General capabilities: Literacy, Critical and Creative Thinking.
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability.
This lesson is part of the wider unit of work IPCC Climate Change Solutions.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – Discuss the IPCC report with students, guide their thinking on the electric car debate, and support them in independent work.
- A device capable of presenting a video to the class
- Individual devices capable of accessing the internet – one per student
- Presentation Slides (optional)
- Student Worksheets – one copy per student (optional)
- Student writing materials.
Related Professional Development: If you’re interested in learning more about how to approach challenging topics around climate change and sustainability in your classroom through a Hope and Optimism lens, consider our PD course.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.