Quick summary: In this lesson, students will view and respond to the documentary feature film, The Leadership. They will engage in a range of jigsaw activities to build their understanding of the themes in the film, which include: feminism, women in STEMM, equality, diversity and sexism in the workplace. Students will learn to track their personal responses to a text and to develop academic dialogue with peers about these responses.
It is highly recommended that this lesson be completed before other lessons in this education package. Please be mindful that this lesson handles difficult topics and may impact different students in different ways. Please ensure students have access to confidential support if they need it.
The Leadership is rated M for mature audiences and contains coarse language and themes of sexual harassment and abuse. Consider whether viewing this film or clips is appropriate for your students.
- Students understand that their personal responses to a text may change as the text progresses
- Students connect with prior knowledge around key themes in The Leadership
- Students can reflect on the emotional and personal impact of texts.
21st century skills:
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 10 English
- Understand that people’s evaluations of texts are influenced by their value systems, the context and the purpose and mode of communication (ACELA1565)
- Evaluate the impact on audiences of different choices in the representation of still and moving images (ACELA1572)
Syllabus outcomes: EN5-1A, EN5-7D
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability
Relevant parts of Year 10 achievement standards: Students develop and justify their own interpretations of texts. They evaluate other interpretations, analysing the evidence used to support them.
Topic: Learning Through Film, Social Issues
Time required: 135 mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – students may need support to clarify misconceptions. They also may need support depending on their reaction to any adult themes in the text.
- Device capable of presenting a video to the class
- Handling Sensitive Topics And Issues Factsheet
- Sticky notes and large pieces of paper (A3 or larger) OR Padlet
- Student Worksheets – one copy per student.
Keywords: text response, text interpretation, women in STEMM, workplace issues, sustainability, feminism, text analysis, comprehension strategies, teamwork
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.